Title : DIRECTOR OF THE UNESCO LIAISON OFFICE IN ADDIS ABABA AND UNESCO REPRESENTATIVE TO ETHIOPIA
Domain : Field Operations Coordination - Management
Post Number : 6ETAFR0001RP
Grade : D-1
Organizational Unit : FIELD OFFICES
Primary Location : ET-Addis Ababa
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Salary : 136 894 USD
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : December 5, 2015
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director-General and the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Africa Department and in close consultation with all programme Assistant Directors-General, the incumbent will act as UNESCO Representative to the African Union Commission (AUC) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), maintaining close working relationships with the AUC organs at the leadership and technical levels. The incumbent will also act as UNESCO Representative to Ethiopia maintaining and fostering contacts and cooperation with the national authorities, the United Nations Country Team (UNCT), development banks, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other bilateral institutions and organizations advocating for UNESCO’s mandate, strategic programme priorities and orientations. In close cooperation with the Director of the UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office in Nairobi (Kenya), he/she will manage the multidisciplinary programme of the Office and provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership in planning and implementing activities responding to the priority needs of the country in all fields of UNESCO’s competence. The incumbent will ensure the effective and efficient management of the Office’s operations including security issues and its human and financial resources, in line with the Organization’s policies and procedures including effective internal controls.
Advanced university degree in one of UNESCO’s fields of competence or in a discipline with relevance to international relations.
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system, other international, national or private sector institutions, including a wide experience in diplomatic work or development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy and resources mobilization.
- Proven partnership experience with successful implementation of partners at global, local and community levels.
Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer programmes and projects, human and financial resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate teams in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, ensuring continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Organizational skills, including establishing and implementing plans and priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing; demonstrated ability to interact with a wide range of partners and other stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to take initiatives and maintain effective working relationships with partners of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in one of the working languages of the Organization (English or French) and good knowledge of the second language. Training will be mandatory in order to acquire the required level of the second working language in a reasonable time-frame.
Courses/degrees/training in a management-related field.
Experience in the field of international relations and diplomacy.
Experience in African organizations and/or institutions such as the Africa Union (AU), the Regional Economic Communities of the Africa Union (RECs), the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), etc.
Professional experience gained in multicultural working environments.
Assignments, preferably at senior level, in the United Nations system.
Strong global professional network.
Good geopolitical knowledge of the African region.
Good knowledge of the United Nations system.
Knowledge of other official United Nations languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).